DFBarracks - Forums

Delta Force Barracks Forums - Powered by XMB 1.9.11
Delta Force Barracks Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: New Feature on MapDB or Stop the lamers!
Jonny Rubber
General

Mood: Mines a Pint

[*] posted on 7-15-2005 at 02:10 AM

Hopefully I should be back rating very soon - mostly on BHD so if your posting there I should comes across your maps.

hosting by Photobucket
Brad.G
DFB Staff

Mood: Sedated

[*] posted on 8-17-2005 at 09:12 AM

A.B , it would be nice if we could have the option to have an ignore list. that way we could add these bogus names to our lists , and they wouldnt be able to download or comment on our maps.

who would complain if they could control who comments or downloads? :cool:

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Wraith-RD
Private

[*] posted on 9-27-2006 at 02:39 AM

I think you have made a valid, and much needed change with the new rating system method.
My squad and I used to be adamant about only grabbing maps that had been rated 7 or above... but soon found that those ratings didn't reflect accurately how the map played for us. In some cases, a map with a rating of 10 got a 5 from us, and a map with a rating of 7, to us, should have gotten a 10, + some!
In the end, we basically just started ignoring the ratings, and would download any new map that came out. As you can imagine, we ended up playing some AWFUL maps by people that just shouldn't be making maps, and discovering new geniuses that had previously gone un-noticed by us because of low ratings. We have our favorite mappers that we know will always give us a good play, and we have some that we just ignore when we see a map posted by them (I'm not gonna name either), and we are always wiling to give a new discovery the benifit of the doubt.... now that you have made this change, it will make using the ratings system a lot more reliable.
I for one, as a mapper myself, hate it when somebody just throws together as many objects as they can and uploads a map, usually without it being playtested, and nearly always without it having any goals or other info listed in a "easy to create" briefing! Hello?!? NILE's Little Helper people!!! (by OldMan... thanks dude!)
Some advice (suggestion.. request) to all the map makers out there, from a guy who also makes maps,
1) Have someone playtest your map before you upload it.. someone who can objectively give you ideas on what you might want to change or fix, and then change that stuff and have 'em re-test it with you.... I do this with every map I make... believe me when I tell you that my squad can be invaluable, if at times harsh, critics when it comes to what they like and what they hate... and I always take their advise and change what they think needs improvement before I submit my maps. (Thanks Rogue Delta !!)
2) For God's sake, stop putting personal missiles in the maps!!!!! Does anybody really like those things? Not only are they not realistic (the technology doesn't exist), and not fair (a backwoods, 3rd world country has the technology, but the good 'ole US Military - or any other friendly - doesn't get to use them?), they are also extremely annoying!
3) Keep in mind that everything you add to the map will also add to possible lag. If it doesn't need to be in there, think about leaving it out! i.e.: trees that are way off the path the team will use to accomplish it's goals, walls that no-one will ever see, etc. And finally...
4) Weather effects, while cool in general, do add to making a map lag. Again, if it's not essential to the scheme of the map, think hard about not putting it in at all.

I guess I've rambled enough, so I'll leave off by again saying thanks to A.Bullet for the change to the ratings system! I think it will make things easier for everyone involved in the game.

Gun control is being able to hit what you aim at...
Redneck-RD-
Grunt

[*] posted on 10-20-2006 at 06:24 AM
a suggestion

To help prevent some one from just going in and rating a map and not doing a comment to explain the rating they give I would like to suggest having them make a comment on a map... then after they submit their comment it goes to a rating screen where they are asked to rate this map ... then after they rate it the comment AND rating is submitted but cant do one with out the other.

Just an idea
Assassin Xaero
DFB Map Rater

[*] posted on 10-20-2006 at 07:07 AM

Well... if you make it so you can't do one without the other, then if you comment on a issue, then you would have to rate it. I know that I (and some other people) comment on things and give the creator a chance to update it before rating it...

‡ BHD ‡ BHD:TS ‡ JO:TR ‡

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Redneck-RD-
Grunt

[*] posted on 10-20-2006 at 07:21 AM

could always choose not to rate? i mean it could give you the option of do you wish to rate this map..

But the point was so that they couldnt just see a map and then click on RATE IT
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top